Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Personal learning environment... what do I have?

After reading the article by Attwell (2006), I am agreed with the author that our learning environments are not just limited to formal or informal learning, but also how we use educational technologies to share, to gain and to create new information/ knowledge. Most of us are familiar with formal learning, which receives much recognition. This will help us in our employment indirect, however, most of us also know that informal learning environment is very important. In this course, I read and search for authentic information (theory and concepts) but indirect, I have learnt about self-discipline, time-management, exploring new tools to use for teaching. As this course is designed by professional educator, it has created a 'fun' environment for me to learn more. I believe I could do it by myself by exploring the internet and find the appropriate tools, but it may take me a much much longer time to do it or I might lose my interest in between .. :-) Thus, we should evaluate our PLE from time to time...

To create a life long PLE, I believe that we need to choose the style of learning that we prefer and suit to us. And with the helps of educational technology tools, our learning curves are exponential! But, as point out by Sha, everything goes back to availability and technology. I am totally agree with that.

Educational tools by themselves may not create an effective PLE but integration of different components as discussed in the article by Attwell (2006).

Let's me do some reflections of the tools that I have learnt from this course:

Delicious - social bookmarking (share popular and relevant bookmarks)
Facebook - social networking (connect almost everyone)
Blogger - multiple blogs with different topics (to voice out)
Google tools (i.e. mail, alert, iGoogle, Goole reader)
Solidcasts/Podcast - audio files hosting
Endnote- Management of references
Audacity - audio recording for podcasting
Skype - internet communication
Wiki - contribute various knowledge
Jing- screen capture video to create demos
Web brower - safari, firefox, opera
Search engines - Google
Mozy - online backup tool to save all your important data
Adobe suite - photo editing and other design works


All comments are welcome.. bye


Reference:
Attwell (2006) Personal Learning Environments. The Wales-Wide Web website. Retrieved on 4 December 2008 from http://www.knownet.com/writing/weblogs/Graham_Attwell/entries/6521819364

No comments: